Transportation Secretary Job Opening
Job Type: Full-time
• High school diploma or GED.
• Must have exceptional personal integrity, maturity, collaborative skills, and personal interest in working with students, staff, parents and the community.
• Experience with word processing, database, spreadsheet, email, and calendar software required.
• Must communicate effectively with staff, students, and parents.
The transportation secretary serves as the liaison between the Transportation Director and the Jefferson County School District Bus Barn. The transportation secretary ensures all addresses, bus stops, bus routes, grade levels, schools, and pertinent information is accurate and consistent with student management software, schedules special trips, handles parent concerns and communicates with the schools and families regarding transportation issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinates with the Transportation Director to support student routing in the transportation software program.
• Communicates, orally and in writing, the developed routing to parents, drivers and school staff. Works effectively with these groups to ensure delays or changes are well communicated to families and school staff as relayed by the Transportation Director.
• Assists in developing and implementing special routing for identified students, schedules, assignments and changes.
• Schedules, confirms and monitors special trips for school staff.
• Reads and interprets maps to provide directions, information and documentation for drivers, district staff, parents and the public.
• Communicates orally and in writing with drivers concerning various matters, including routes, trips, special requirements, road conditions, maps, parking, etc.
• Operates telephone communications for the Transportation Department and the public to provide information, directions and/or clarification as needed to meet department operations.
• Accepts and responds to bus trouble calls; notifies school staff of mechanical or other problems and notifies school staff of plans for replacement buses and drivers as necessary to meet operational needs.
• Communicates orally and in writing with building staff and community members concerning various matters including routes, trips, stops, changes, early releases, late arrivals, delays, etc.
• Composes and/or prepares various documents and reports including bus stop locations, field trip information, substitute driver route lists and maps, substitute workloads, absence and substitute records, early dismissal schedules, school route maps, correspondence, fliers, etc.
• Review of school district and bus video footage to ensure timely and safe routes.
• Reviews and monitors contracts, mileage, and reports to ensure appropriate billing.
• Assists with emergency evacuation drills and other bus safety programs as requested.
• Assists others in the department as time permits.
• Attends administration meetings as assigned.
• Prepare correspondence. Check for grammar and punctuation.
• Maintain and control records, logs, rosters, etc.
• Review and/or revise reports and documents for accuracy and completeness.
• Maintain time records
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the Transportation Director
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently
required to stand, talk, see, hear, walk and sometimes sit. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 pounds. The employee is
directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of other people. Specific
vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or
typed materials, and the ability to adjust focus. This position requires the individual to
meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
● Must have a valid driver’s license where travel among the district buildings and
outside of the district occurs on a regular, ongoing basis.
● Evening, early morning, and weekend on-call time is required.
The Transportation Secretary will report to the Transportation Director
Please e-mail your resume to Transportation Director, Jamaris Wilson at email@example.com